Sunday, July 11, 2010

Just a thought...

Just a little thought I had today.


Every single day we do thousands of completely 'unimportant' things. Like dressing up, piece by piece. Like washing dishes, combing hair, buying groceries. Small, ordinary, everyday activities that everyone can do.


But can they?


When we were little children, there must have been a day when we combed our hair on our own for the very first time, when we finally didn't need help when putting a jumper on (giving our carer a reason to celebrate), when we were allowed to embark alone on this adventurous journey of buying some bread in a shop across the road. And how bloody proud we were when we did it.


I feel that reminding myself of those obvious facts may have huge philosophical implications for me. :)


Because when you think about it for a second - 'adult' life is the same process, only brought to a higher level. There's some new things around us that we may choose to try, to do for the first time, and then feel just as proud as when doing up our laces without a help.
Or we may decide not to, because we fear failure.
As children we were somehow braver.



It made me think of all the things I have already learned, but because now they seem so easy, I completely forgot the pride bit.
Like (I guess) everyone else, I need to feel proud of my achievements to be happy. Now, I didn't happen to discover rocket science, so to feel this contentment I need to notice and appreciate small things around me.
This powers me to do more. And who knows, maybe one day there will be enough power to make this trip to the Moon.

1 comment: